Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Almost Ready", or "Too Much Coffee for Craig!"

(Craig writes) It sounds like one of those sports moments you see on TV when someone wins the big game, "hey (winning athelete), you just won the (super bowl, world series...), what are you going to do next?" The response, "I'm going to Disney World!" So if I put it into terms I am currently going through, "Hey Craig, you just got laid off from your job, what are you going to do next?" My response, "I'm going to Disney World!" Seems kind of counter productive in some ways and a great diversion in all the other ways. Way back months ago when Becky and I planned this 2 week WDW, (Walt Disney World), trip to celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary I never dreamed it would be the the prelude to a second 2 month long trip also! (I sure am glad that nothing surprises God!) I am positively pumped at the opportunities!

While recently contemplating the celebratory mood I was in, a great idea sprang upon me that I shared with Becky. (Actually it was probably the result of a coffee frap with two extra shots from Starbucks that got my brain moving out of sync), anyway here was my idea. If I ever find out that I have a terminal illness the first thing I plan to do is have a huge party. Inviting everyone we've ever known to join in a celebration of life. Catered with really great food, a live band, (or at least a really good DJ), dancing and generally having a ball. What a neat way for people to have as a last memory of someone. Lived a good life for Jesus, did what they could while they could and enjoyed a bit of that abundant life Jesus talked about in John 10.

I heard from an old friend from my TFC print shop days this week, (circa 1983). It seems that he also has a case of the "let me examine everything I've ever done in life and look for the significance" syndrome that I have. We used to call it a middle age crisis but since neither one of us is actually middle aged, (unless we make it to age 115+-), and it doesn't feel like a crisis we need to find a more appropriate label for it. Basically moving away from pushing for success and performance based living to going for significance, be it seemingly large or small.

Well let's see. I've moved from WDW to terminal illness possibilities, (no neither one of us is ill), to life direction all in one short blog entry. Better sum it all up and say that while contemplating the brevity and frailness of life, the frivality of amusements, the need for validation in the human experience and the possible perverse idea of munching on a bbq sparerib while discussing funeral plans I am left with the following conclusion. "Hey Craig, you just wrote and incredibly boring and run-on blog entry, what are you going to do next?" "I'm going to Disney World dude!"

No comments: