Monday, October 20, 2008

Moments




(Craig writes) We went to the Grand Canyon today and the name certainly fits, it is truly grand! We had seen pictures of the canyon all of our lives, even read up on what to expect from some of our tour books but to actually walk up to this magnificient natural wonder and see it first hand literally took our breath away. We will post a few pics to show what we saw but it's another one of those things in life that you just have to be there to understand.

We decided to take the Grand Canyon Railroad from Williams, AZ up to the South rim of the canyon both to enjoy the scenic ride as well as to reduce our "carbon footprint" in the area. The car traffic at the canyon is a real problem and so by taking the train we reduced the impact by at least 1 car. There was a wild west show complete with cowboys, horses and a gunfight before we boarded the train in Williams. Then the 2 hour and 15 minute railroad ride up to the canyon was delightful as we were treated like royalty riding in a vista dome railroad car. Upon arrival we took a tour were able to get up close and personal with the canyon at several different locations.

(Becky writes)

As we walked around different areas of the rim today, again I was so impressed with just how incredibly beautiful our earth is!! We went to several different "viewing areas" and the scenery and colors are different from each place and some even seem to change as you are standing and exclaiming over them. Carol, our attendant on the train coming back from the canyon this afternoon, made the comment that "It is better not to measure our lives by the number of breaths we take but in the moments that take our breath away." As I pondered that, I remembered some of the moments that have and do take my breath. My sweetheart flashing a special smile that he saves just for me; my children giving me hugs and always telling me they love me on the telephone, and saying they want to spend time with me; my grandchildren taking me by the hand, giving me hugs, saying "MORE" to me, shrieking and running into my arms when greeting me; my little friend, Deshon, giving me big hugs and drawing pictures for me and saying he will never forget me. These are just some of the special moments that have made and continue to make my life really special!


3 comments:

ashlea said...

How beautiful! Loved the photos, video, and specifally your new "profile" pic on the blog home. Sounds amazing! I thought Sedona looked really neat in the photos too. Maybe we'll make it out there before the boys are grown. I hope so!

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful pictures! God is sooo awesome in all his creations! I just saw you comment asking about our rummage sale. We made $401.69
(now, because someone returned a $20 purchase. Go figure....) Plus a $50 donation so $451.69 total. Praise the Lord!! Please Keep praying that the Lord will help us get rid of the other $3,500 before Christmas.

Love,
Mary Ann

Laura said...

Hey guys!
Love the entries...it is like I am there...almost...well, not exactly, but it is still great fun to read and watch!
I am so glad you guys are doing this!
Carpe Diem