Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Extremes





(Becky writes) Today was certainly a day of extremes. When we first started planning this trip, we knew we wanted to go into Mexico. We considered several different options for how to accomplish that. One option was to drive in but after a little consideration we decided that wasn't the best plan since we didn't have any clue where to go, the car insurance is an issue and we just weren't sure how smart that option was. The next idea was to take a cruise out of San Diego or LA and cruise down to several locations in Mexico. For several reasons we decided against that option. We finally decided to do a "day tour". This sounded like the most simple and safe solution.

So, today we went to Mexico.

The tour company picked us up here at our resort which is about 75 miles north of the border. We stopped at several other resorts as we traveled south to pick up other travelers and then made a stop in San Diego at the historic Hotel del Coronado. This gorgeous hotel was built in 1888, is all wood construction and is the epitomy of luxury. We had a few minutes to walk around. The grounds are lush and the lobby is plush. It overlooks the Pacific and for me, at least, it is what I envisioned southern California to look like.

We left the hotel and literally in a few miles we crossed the border and we witnessed the other end of the spectrum. As we traveled about 45 miles through the countryside, we saw cardboard and plywood "houses" leaning up against the hillsides. The contrast from southern California to Mexico was really overwhelming to me. It is really hard to believe that just two fences separate these two places.

Our first destination in Mexico was a very small village, Puerta Nuevo, where we were scheduled to eat lunch. Our lunch was very good - a California lobster with tortillas that were incredible. Lunch also included soup or salad, rice, beans, really good coffee and flan. The food was really good but it is also sad that the 21 of us sat there and enjoyed all this food after witnessing such extreme poverty just outside the door. The tour company made the arrangements for lunch and also for a mariache band to come in and serenade us.

After lunch we headed back to Tijuana to do some shopping. Craig and I are not big shoppers but we did purchase some surprises for our grandchildren along with a couple of things for ourselves - a charm for the bracelet I am making of our trip and a lovely miniature paper mache nativity. I was glad Craig was with me to "bargain" on the price because I really don't do well with that at all. My previous experience with this type shopping has been in the Bahamas and I always feel so bad about bargaining with the people. I did feel that the pressure to buy was much more in Mexico today than I have ever experienced in the Bahamas.

It was a very interesting day and we enjoyed meeting the other people on the tour with us. We met a couple from Illinois who just six weeks ago moved to Las Vegas. They are really struggling with being so far away from their children and grandchildren and not at all sure their move will work out for them. It made us very glad we have decided to come back to the southeast.

3 comments:

ashlea said...

I'm glad your coming back to the southeast too! :) I remember feeling that way in Venezuela when I went. The cardboard box "houses" are simply heart-breaking. Hopefully, your purchases helped a few people their out in a small way anyway. I'm sure the boys will be excited about your purchases too. Love you lots! Talk to you when you wake up in a little while. :)

Mary Ann said...

I know all to well about the extreme measure in Guatemala. Especially the children selling the merchandise. I bought way to much stuff that we did not need because I could not tell those sweet faces no. I started taking pocket fulls of one $1 bills and candy for the begging children and instead of keep buying things I gave them money and candy. I think the kids were way happier with that too! The picture of the little girl reminds me of Sara Ava. She came from a mud hut with dirt floors and no running water. Her crib was a box. SOOOO sad!

But the picture of California are BEAUTIFUL!

Mary Ann said...

You can see some little girls selling their little goodies at the very bottom of the page on my ministry blog. http://loveforthechildren.blogspot.com/