Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Got Fish? or How To See Martha Stewart Without Really Trying











(Craig writes) We traveled from Victoria, British Columbia to Puyallup, Washington on Sunday. As much as we enjoyed beautiful Canada and the wonderful Canadian people last week I have to admit it felt like I was coming home when we crossed the border and were welcomed back by the border officer. Maybe it's that I felt a little closer to the 13 major reasons we are coming back (Laura, Matthew, Ashlea, Tim, Amy, Tom, Addison, Whitman, Natalie, Teddy, Nicole, Tyler and Isaac)!

We drove through Seattle with the idea of stopping off at Pike's Place Market to look around for a bit. After cruising by the Market for the fourth time looking for a parking place in pouring rain, we decided to save the Market experience for another day. Moving on to Gig Harbor, WA we enjoyed the beautiful Fall scenery and then got lunch at Kelly's Diner before driving to Puyallup and the "New Beginnings Ministry". We met Miles and Debi Musick, the directors, and our friends from the Carolinas, Nick and Jessi Connolly and Lauren Hogan. We had contacted them earlier about me helping remodel a bathroom at the home and Becky taking some photos for the ladies there.

Our plan was to visit Seattle on Monday and then begin the construction project on Tuesday. Seattle and especially the Pikes Place Market were a blast! Since our first attempt at parking in Seattle was a bust we decided to take the "Sounder" commuter railway system into Seattle Monday morning to avoid the hassle of having a car in the city. Wow, the commuter system is great. Fast, quiet, comfortable, affordable and safe. Soon we found ourselves at King Street Station in Seattle and had been given the advice to "follow the herd" which we did for several blocks before breaking off on our own. We found the people of Seattle to be very friendly and helpful in getting us headed in the right direction to the Market. Pikes Place Market is an icon of Seattle and a visitors paradise. You can feed all of your senses with great things at the same time! The sights, sounds and smells all added to an already festive feeling that seemed to be reflected by all. Speaking of friendly people, Jon Daniels of the City Fish Company went above and beyond good customer service by answering all of our fish market questions, suggesting some good places to eat lunch, handling our order as if it was the most important thing he was going to do all day and in general treating us like family. All this right after handling an order from Martha Stewart. Thanks again Jon!



(Becky writes) Monday night turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. Several months ago, I made contact with my cousin, Will Ridgeway. Will is the youngest son of my uncle, Julian Ridgeway, who passed away about 5 years ago. Will lives in Gig Harbor with his older brother, Marlin and his wife Elizabeth. Will and I have communicated through FaceBook for these past few months and decided to meet in person since we are in the Seattle area. So last night we had the privilege of meeting, Marlin, Elizabeth, Will and his girlfriend Deanna for the first time! We had a wonderful visit, shared a great meal and I hope the beginning of a long time friendship. It truly felt like we had known one another forever and I look forward to the next time!

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Glad to hear you are having a great time! I love being able to see the rest of our US and Cananda through your wonferful pictures! How many miles have you driven so far?

Craig and Becky said...

Mary Ann, I think we are about 3300 miles but that is an interesting question. I will check today and give you a accurate number. Do you have my direct e-mail. If so will you please send me a quick note, I don't have yours on my laptop(it's on the PC back in storage) and I want to send you a note. If you don't have mine would you send Ashlea a note (I think you have hers) and she can forward it to me. Thanks

ashlea said...

Love the market photos! Looks like I remember it - so fun! I know ya'll will love Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. Sounds like a great experience in Seattle. Onward ho to Oregon in the morning! :) Looking forward to more blogs and photos. Love you!