Saturday, July 11, 2009

It's been about 5 hours since we left Potwabin but I can still hear the sweet melody of the children's voices. They sang for me! What an incredible gift on my first visit to a Ghanaian village. There little voices were so sweet and melodious and the wonderful thing about it is that they began the singing on their own. My cameras are a child magnet. They love having their pictures made and then viewing themselves on the preview screen. They had gathered around me where I was sitting under the shade of the big trees. We took some pictures and then sang "Old McDonald" which they just love and they giggled and giggled at the animal sounds. And then they just started singing. They were probably all under ten years old and there was about a dozen of them. I have no idea what the words were because I speak no Twi but I didn't need to know. It was one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Those precious little voices just blended together in perfect harmony and they smiled at me through the entire song. They smile with their mouths and with their eyes. I managed to keep the tears back, though it was hard. I'm afraid the "abruni lady" crying would have frightened them.

I've wanted to come here for so long and it's just so amazing to actually be here, meeting the people, learning about their lives and just being able to have a small part in bringing them safe water. The little children really just grab my heart. I asked God to give me a deep love for the Ghanaian people before I came here and I can truly say He has done that. I wrote before I left that I felt I had given a piece of my heart to Africa many years ago and I'm sure now a part of me will be here forever. As I boarded the van to leave this afternoon, my last words to the children of Potrabin were "Midowupaa" (I love you)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What joy the Father must feel in your love for His little ones. Now you see them as He does.
I just read where Jesus blesses the little children...how appropriate:).

ashlea said...

Sounds like an awesome day Mom! Thanks for the updates!