Friday, July 10, 2009

Training Day and Processing

Today was a nice day. We all really needed a decompression day after all the intensity of yesterday.

Dave conducted the training on the purification system with the different men that will be in charge of the systems. We followed that with a preview of the water hygiene training that will take place in the villages.

After a really delicious lunch of chicken stew, white rice (just like South Carolina), roasted white potatoes and of course, deliciously sweet pineapple, we walked to Jerusalem Gates to visit with the children and take some little gifts for them. It was a great visit! The children were very excited to see us again and ran out to greet us with hugs and lots of big smiles. We took many pictures of individual chidren, which they loved. One little boy, Douglas, told me he wanted to be a pilot when he grows up and that he will fly me back and forth from America to visit him here in Ghana. One of the older girls, Comfort, hugged and hugged me today. She is so cute and just a bit awkward in that 12 year old way. She told me she likes to learn about science and math. I love it when girls are interested in those subjects.

It has been such an incredible thing to see how my trip is affecting my family from5000 miles away. Everyone seems to be having a difficult time processing all the sad things they are reading about and observing through our pictures. Ashlea and Tom are praying about what the next step is. Amy, my sweet other "daughter" wrote me today that Natalie and Nicole, ages 5 and 3, are hearing about the things that I'm involved with here in Ghana. Natalie, after hearing about the Tema Dump wanted to know if the people didn't have a trash can. So hard to try and explain these kinds of needs to anyone but especially to young children. What the girls do understand is that I need their prayers. Each morning, Amy gets the globe down, they place those precious little fingers on Ghana and pray for Nana. Oh, how blessed I am.

1 comment:

ashlea said...

That is neat about Douglas. How sweet! Any photos of him? Thanks again for the updates. Love you lots!